The World Steel Association (worldsteel) is one of the largest and most dynamic industry associations in the world, with members in every major steel-producing country. worldsteel represents steel producers, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes. Members represent around 85% of global steel production.
Membership has increased steadily since worldsteel (formerly the International Iron and Steel Institute) was founded in 1967.
worldsteel’s mission is to:
- promote the steel industry and steel as a material
- find global solutions to the environmental challenge identify and analyse important megatrends
- encourage alignment between regional and national steel associations.
Who can become a member?
There are 2 categories of worldsteel membership:
Regular members consist of companies having raw steel production and operate as independent commercial enterprises. State-controlled companies must be free to make their own economic and investment decisions and operate in a market-based economy.
Any association or federation of steel producers and any technical society or institute concerned with matters affecting the steel industry.
As a member you will be able to:
- Access the worldsteel extranet, a password-protected website available exclusively to members that provide details of all our programmes, activities and campaigns.
- Benefit from worldsteel’s member-only data, reports, publications, case studies and authoritative works on specialist subjects including the latest technical and economic data on industry trends and performance affecting the global steel industry.
- Become involved at an international level in common market development programmes and initiatives.
- Network with other steel industry professionals from around the world at meetings, events and conferences organised by worldsteel.
- Join major industry-wide working parties, expert groups and committees in worldsteel.
- Send high-potential employees as Fellows to worldsteel to work on specific projects and gain knowledge of the industry at a global level.
The association exerts no pressure or politics on its members. worldsteel is not involved in competitive issues between steel companies.
Our commitment, our key focus areas, our Committees and the many advantages of being a member of worldsteel. Click here to read our brochure.